About us

Introducing...

 We are three like-minded people with extensive experience in the art of being still. Together we have created The Life Drawing Collectiv...

Sunday 1 November 2015

Interview with Carla Tofano: "I unclothe my mind and heart every time I unclothe my body"

photo by Mick Perkins


-How did you get into life modelling - what's your background?

My first step into modelling was an accident. I am journalist and had the wonderful opportunity of building a great career in my country (Venezuela) doing TV, radio and newspapers and covering news about arts and entertainment. When I moved to UK, not speaking any English at all, I had to start my professional life from zero. I got some jobs in customer service but I honestly was very bad at all that: I was loved by customers and hated by managers because of my lack of efficiency with numbers and practical, systematic things. Then I met a Venezuelan girl who was working as a life model in Florence and I realised that she was doing something that I would love to do. I was always very body-conscious and shy about my own nudity, but the first time I stood nude in front of a group of artists I felt as though I'd always been an art model.
photo by Tatiana Moressoni


-What led you to The Life Drawing Collective?

Andrew was organising a humanitarian session in favour of lovely Magdalene Celeste, and I wanted to be part of it, with the only intention of being helpful. I join the session and as always happens when you do something with heart, that initiative gave me the chance of start talking with Andrew about how good could it be to create a collective of models to run weekly sessions with interactive body compositions and many models always involved. We wanted to offer inspiration to the London's art scene to get in return the satisfaction of doing something worthy and beautiful, and with Manko we found the perfect team in any possible way. She is not just extremely beautiful but also elegant, creative and unstoppable.

By Talia Al Ghul


-Is it weird being naked? How was your first time like?

It isn't weird but it's special. We live in a world where nudity has many good and bad connotations, and as a life model I am not beyond all that. I just have found an acceptance of my corporality that makes my feel strong and precious when I am uncovered. I am always ready to unclothe my mind and my heart every time I unclothe my body. Not everyone is ready for that, and that makes me feel respect for myself. My first time was in Lavender Hill Studios and I remember everything in a very blurry dreamy way. The light coming through the windows on that sunset of a day of summer was orange, and as musical background was playing Cesaria Evora... Her voice made me feel protected.

by Simon Tolhurst

-What goes on in your head when you're standing naked?

I am always connected with my desires. When I stand, lie, or sit naked, I flow freely into my very personal and deep world of fantasies and wishes. Being quiet and challenging my body to the limits also gives me the precious opportunity to live in just the present, which is something we rarely experience in the modern world. I am blessed with a job that offers to me the chance of doing long hours of daily meditation.

by Matt Lowery

-Is life modelling easy? What's your preparation process for this job?

I honestly don't do any preparation. I like the risk of being in the moment and just being ready to test my limits and discover what I am capable of. I should do some work out or yoga but I don't do any kind of exercise. Modelling every day for many hours is my every day training. It can be very painful but I am never scared of pain.

by James Rose

-What about the metaphysical aspect of a model becoming a muse?

Just the word "muse" makes my blush! I adore the idea of being more than an empty subject for someone, somewhere, but I prefer not to consider myself a muse. I don't need to became too conscious of my possible influence as a model in the creation process of the artists I work with... Being too aware can ruin the magic.

with Andrew Crayford, photo by Manko


-What other artists, models, muses you admire? Do you have inspiration / favourites?

I love the work of Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt, figurative artists that were more interested in creating their own aesthetic language than copying reality. I love also Modigliani's portraits of women and most of the artists from Pre-Raphaelites movement. High level of expressions and communications are my goals as an art model. I have discretely cried during some of my sessions and I am not ashamed of that. I am not a mannequin but a woman who's alive, very alive.


Macbeth inspired session with Andrew, photo by Manko

-Tell us about your most memorable life-modelling gig. It can be the funniest, the weirdest, the most inspirational, the best paid, the creepiest, etc?

I did a session for people in extreme conditions - homeless and drug addicts - and the experience was very motivational. I realised that concentration is very hard when you don't have any security in life. They were very distracted on the long poses but did amazing drawings with the quick ones. I am still amazed about that session and the whole importance of art to heal the soul.


-Has life modelling changed you, how you see yourself?

Life modelling has been a self discovery path in my life. I have embraced the real me since I started accepting my body, and connecting with my inner silence and imagination every single day of my life. I accept now things about myself that I always wanted to avoid. Life modelling or art modelling has been an opportunity of still being a communicator, with the difference that now I speak through my body.



-What would be your dream modelling job?

Modelling with the Life Drawing Collective in the best museums of London and around the world would be great. I would love to have a world tour with The Life Drawing Collective!



Mirror Doesn't Love You Like This from Jessie Parsons on Vimeo.



Follow Carla on Instagram, Twitter, and come to draw her and the rest of The Life Drawing Collective at Resistance Gallery on 15 November or Eastbourne House on 21st November.


2 comments:

  1. Excellent - very inspiring and yes it is a joy to meditate when possible - i can relate to that . x x Phil

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carla is a great asset to London's life drawing populace, and I reckon Life Drawing Collective may pioneer events similar to 'Open Mic', where artists and models expand life drawing proper to more theatre-like events with movement and visual effects to be incorporated and presented to a larger audiences.

    ReplyDelete