About us

Introducing...

 We are three like-minded people with extensive experience in the art of being still. Together we have created The Life Drawing Collectiv...

Thursday 29 October 2015

Interview with Andrew Crayford: "Our Collective is the dawning of a 21st Century Renaissance"




How did you get into life modelling? your background, other jobs, etc? 

I got into life modelling accidentally after being asked to accompany a female friend to one of Spencer Tunick's mass nude photo-shoots in Greenwich… There happened to be few artists taking part who said I had a classical physique and would I like to model for them. I thought it was a bit odd at first as I've never done any nude modelling before, but I did it and it was great!
Since then I've gone on to model for The British Museum in programmes about classic Renaissance art and sculpture, 'Michelangelo - Closer To The Master', 'The Discus-Thrower', about Myron's 'Discobolus', and featured on BBC1 'The Big Painting Challenge' modelling for amateur artists.

Spencer Tunick at the Saatchi Gallery (Andrew is 5th from the right)



What led you to the Life Drawing Collective?

I came up with the idea of The Life Drawing Collective after organising a multi-model benefit life drawing event in aid of friend and artist Magdalene Celeste who was unwell and unable to continue her drawing sessions at Exotique Drawing Salon. The idea worked so well, and the artists loved it so much it seemed like a natural progression to continue the concept. Carla Tofano was part of these original sessions, and on meeting and modelling with Manko I knew she was perfect for what we wanted to achieve with the project.

At Industry Workshops for LARA,


I also felt after years of modelling that the life drawing scene had stagnated, and though there were hundreds of life drawing groups across London, very little real art was being created, and I feel we have achieved this with the events we have created in collaboration with our many artist friends.
By Aaron Jacob Jones


Is it weird being naked? What was your first time like?

No, it's not weird being naked at all… I think it's our natural state of being and that we are 'unclothed' rather than 'naked'...
We as life models also know that we are modelling for artists who have been drawing nudes for many years, and are merely collaborating with them in creating art. I had already posed nude with hundreds of other people for Spencer Tunick, so it was not too daunting modelling for a few artists. It is actually very liberating and I've always found it good fun alongside the more serious side of inspiring art.

by Jill Hooper

What goes on in your head when you're standing naked?

I tend to do very dynamic poses when modelling, so I'm mainly focusing on holding the pose, trying to maintain the balance of muscle groups in certain areas of my body, especially in my legs when standing. I will also be thinking about the perspective view from all parts of the room, so that all the artists will have an interesting viewpoint, which is why I do so many twisted and contorted poses.
If I am doing something more relaxed I will be thinking of composition poses for the Collective, as well as my own photographic and music projects...
Occasionally I may just be thinking about what grocery shopping I need… haha...

By Mayko Hunt


Is life modelling easy? What's your preparation process for this job? 

No, life modelling is not easy at all, it's very strenuous and physically demanding if you are trying to create something inspiring for artists.
As well as the physical challenge of keeping still, which is quite unnatural for most people, there is also the mental discipline of keeping your mind calm, and yet active. It's like a form of meditation, and very few can do it without the urge to scratch an itch or move.
It takes years of experience to hold a dynamic pose knowing how to make fractional internal muscle adjustments to allow blood to circulate when body parts go numb, and there will be occasions when you are in extreme discomfort doing a longer pose, but just have to maintain composure and use all your experience to make it unnoticeable to the artists, as no one likes to see a model in pain.
This is why we see it as a profession, and why we feel the Collective provides a great service to the art world.



What about the metaphysical aspect of a model becoming a muse?

The metaphysical aspect of becoming a Muse is something I have only recently embraced. I feel as I have grown and developed as an artist using my body in such an expressive way, it is something I was born to do. I embrace it now as a natural progression of a combination of factors, of being blessed with the physicality and good health to push my body to its limit, and also the artistic knowledge of classic art to compose poses that would have inspired the great artists of the Renaissance era. I see what we are doing with the Collective as the dawning of a 21st Century Renaissance.

by Phoebe Dickinson


What other artists, models, muses or characters do you admire, do you have inspirations/favourites?

The artists I admire are again mainly of the Renaissance era, though I also like Ancient Greek and Italian sculpture. I most admire Caravaggio, just because he was such a fascinating character, living on the edge all the time whilst being an amazing artist. His use of light in his work is very theatrical and dramatic ('chiaroscuro'), which is what we seek to recreate in some of our compositions with the Collective. Da Vinci is also a real inspiration, as he combined science and the arts, and was hundreds of years ahead of his time with his drawings of helicopters and tanks.
Michelangelo is also a huge influence for the obvious reasons that he was inspired mainly by the muscular male nude, and I am forever being likened to his works… Fittingly I was the model for the British Museum programme 'Michelangelo - Closer To The Master', where we I posed as Adam for 'The Creation' depicted on the Cistine Chapel.

by Frank Gambino


Tell us about your most memorable life-modelling gig. It can be the funniest, the weirdest, the most inspirational, the best paid, the creepiest, etc?

There have been many unusual and bizarre life drawing experiences, but the most memorable event was when I took part in Spencer Tunick's photo-shoot of mass nudes at the opening of The Saatchi Gallery on the South Bank.
There were around 400 people taking part, and when the shoot was finished we were invited to go into the party and mingle with the celebrities.
They were all asking us why we were naked as we wandered around looking at the exhibits, and as I went into the bar area Jade Jagger was staring at me from across the room… I'm not good at picking up signals, but even I knew that look!

For me that's one of the great things about life modelling, you are always meeting new people everyday, and you can find yourself in some very unusual and interesting places!
I recently was invited to model for the daughter of Lord Normanton at their stately home in Hampshire. I had no idea who the client was, and thought they were just normal people who had hired an events room at the stately home. It was only when I arrived, knocked at the door, and their maid came to answer that I realised they owned the house and as far as the eye could see for miles around! They really enjoyed the modelling session, and were really nice people, but it was quite a stark contrast seeing how they live compared to where I live in a small studio flat in North London.

Andrew with Carla Tofano posing in Macbeth-themed session

Has life modelling changed you how you see yourself?

Yes, in a way life modelling as changed how I see myself in quite a profound way. I feel I was actually born to inspire artists, and have embraced the fact that I was blessed with the genetic classic proportions and physicality of the models of the Renaissance era… I am often told by many artists that I look like I have just stepped out of a Renaissance painting, and am advertised as 'The Renaissance Model'  by some art groups.
I feel as if my body is in harmony with itself, a natural way of being with my active lifestyle and eating unprocessed foods, more in keeping with the natural order of the 'Hunter-gatherers' we are as a species...
I feel technology has made us lose sight of this way of being… When I am training I visualise myself as an Ancient Greek athlete or warrior, for whom the preparation for the Olympics or battle was just an everyday part of life… Having a healthy body is a privilege, and one we should respect.

by Kan


What would be your dream modelling job?

My dream modelling job would be to have an event at The British Museum, The Tate Britain or The V&A with the Collective.
I have made documentaries for The British Museum about classic art, and have modelled at The Tate Britain, but it would be amazing to to have our own event at any of these places with Carla and Manko.
It is something I'm sure we will achieve in the near future, as word about the Collective is spreading far and wide on the life drawing scene around London.




You can follow Andrew and The Life Drawing Collective by clicking these links, and please come to draw him and the rest of The Life Drawing Collective at Resistance Gallery on 15 November or Eastbourne House on 21st November.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent articles - excellent models - will you ever invite 'guest ' models I wonder ! ( LOL You know me ! ) x x

    ReplyDelete